EMBS organizes extensive student programs in the major conferences, and the EMBS Student members are cordially invited to participate in these educational and networking events. Student members are offered registration at reduced rates for EMBS conferences!
A.1) EMBC: Annual International Conference
Each year EMBS sponsors the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. This conference features diverse topics in the field of biomedical engineering, includes many students and young professional activities annually, and is also host to the EMBS Student Paper Competition. For more information on EMBC, visit http://embc.embs.org/. Student activities usually held at EMBC:
- Lunch with Leaders.
- Student Paper Competition.
- Meet the Editors.
- WIE Luncheon and Mini-symposium.
- Students and Young Professionals Reception.
A.2) International Student Conference Series
EMBS also sponsors International Student Conferences – organized by the students, for the students! Upcoming International Student Conferences:
- ISC 2018: December 19-21, Bengaluru, India.
- ISC 2018: August 13-15, Lima, Peru.
- ISC 2018: May 5-6, Turkey.
- ISC 2017: October 12-13, Cairo, Egypt.
- PGBiomed 2017, University of Manchester, United Kingdom.
- ISC 2016: May 29-31 at Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada.
- PGBiomed 2015, University of Liverpool, United Kingdom.
- ISC 2014 at Putra University, Malaysia.
- ISC 2013 at Cairo University, Egypt.
A.3) Other Conferences:
Special Topic Conferences: We also sponsor and technically co-sponsor special topic conferences. To find out more click here: EMBS-sponsored conferences. Check, these conferences on the EMBS conference calendar.
B) Summer Schools
EMBS also organizes and hosts Summer Schools on a range of topics. For listings and more information, click here. Upcoming Summer Schools:
- Practical Computer Modeling for Medical Device Design, June 11-17, 2017, Charleston, SC, USA.
- 3rd IEEE EMBS International Summer School on Neural Engineering, Aug 13-18, 2017, Shanghai, China.
- 13th IEEE EMBS International Summer School on Biomedical Imaging, June 15- 23, Saint Jacut de la Mer, Emerald Coast, France.
C) Distinguished Lecturer Program
EMBS funding is available only to EMBS Chapters, EMBS Student Branch Chapters, and EMBS Student Clubs. Matching funds of up to $500 for clubs and up to $1000 for chapters are available to those Chapters/Clubs interested in hosting a Distinguished Lecturer event. The matching ratio is 2:1, with EMBS providing up to twice the amount raised from some other source. A limited amount of funding is available, so please get your requests in early. For additional information on funding and how to request a Distinguished Lecturer, please visit the Distinguished Lecturer site on the EMBS homepage.
D) EMBS Local Paper Competitions
In order to encourage students to participate in our various conferences, the EMBS is providing support for local paper competitions. Support to local chapters, branch chapters or clubs is in the form of matching funds with potential support for local paper competition winners to attend the annual EMBC. Please visit the Local Paper Competitions on the main EMBS website.
E) EMBS MOOC “So You Want to Become a Biomedical Engineer?”
Want to become a biomedical engineer but not sure where to focus or how to get there? This engineering course will give you an overview of this wildly popular and vast field, as you learn about more than two dozen areas of focus and get a peek at some of the cool and exciting advances going on at top institutions. Along the way, you’ll meet more than three dozen biomedical engineers—from top names in the field to those just starting their careers. Visit the course website on edX for more details.